- the action of delaying or postponing something.
Ever wanted to accomplish something and dreaded to finish? That’s me I’m the big procrastinator. I’m good at starting with no results of finishing. Often times I hear the figure of speech “don’t sleep on yourself” and never took time to value the term as YOU HAVE SO MUCH POTENTIAL you’re holding back.
For instance I began writing my first book in 2017 and guess when I finished? 2017 (just laugh.) This was something I continuously put off and put off for no reason at all. I call procrastinating a lazy sport! Even though many may think procrastinating is laziness they’re totally different.
Here’s my illustration: Let’s just say I want to become an author but not taking the steps to write the book and what’s a book with no words? A blank page full of nothing!
It’s as if you’re aiming for it but doing the bare minimum to achieve. Here I am 5 years later picking off where I started years ago but the good news is I’ve now identified the delay so now it’s solely up to me to take action.
So let me ask you something, what is it that you want to do? What’s stopping you? How can you turn your goal into reality?
Procrastination is the silent dream killer. Listed below are quotes from several authors that I found motivating:
- “Don’t wait. The time will never be just right.” ~ Napoleon Hill
- “Stop talking. Start walking.” ~ L.M. Heroux
- “Begin doing what you want to do now.” ~ Marie Beynon Ray
- “Procrastination is the grave in which opportunity is buried.” ~ Author Unknown
- “You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.” ~ Pablo Picasso
I believe we procrastinate because we’re afraid of the outcome however, we’ll never know the outcome until we succeed. Do not be afraid to take that move, that’s right get up and make things happen.
Here are some things I believe help with procrastinating:
- Start each day with a clear mind and give thanks.
- Forgive yourself from past mistakes.
- Be more discipline to make wiser decisions.
- When your mind says NO! Still get up and GO!
- Do not be afraid of the outcome.
- Believe in yourself.